Sunday 22 February 2015

Food For Thought: Am I Too Old To Be A Gamer?

In this first post of the "Food For Thought" series of blog's I simply must throw the question out there. But before we get to the question (those of us too impatient to wait should perhaps check the title of this post) allow me to give you a bit of my personal background.
   I am a 33 year old married man with two kids and a loving (UNDERSTANDING *wife) wife. I am happy with my family with no real issues to talk about. I also own a PS3, PS4, Xbox one, WiiU, 3DS, PSVita, Wii and on the Wii i have the "Virtual console" with games from the Snes, NES, Megadrive, N64 and neo geo systems. And I play and enjoy every single one of them on a daily basis. I perhaps sink in around 15-20 hours of gaming per week and consider it a personal injustice if pesky things like real life get in the way of an expected gaming session.
   My question is this: Am I getting too old to be into gaming as much as I am? Be aware I always make time for my kids and wife,they absolutely do come first. Its just that gaming is a very close second.
   In this day and age of connected communities via Facebook or Twitter etc things are not like they used to be. This isnt our parents era of no T.V or social media. No video game consoles or things to do inside your house other than house duties or-ahem- extra curricula activities (Yes Jamie, that is where babies come from *ed). No back in our parents time if we wished to do anything enjoyable it meant going to that most dangerous of places: Outside.
   Bringing you back to the present we now of course have T.V and soaps and games and Facebook and Netflix and Ebay and a whole host of things to ensure that the aforementioned and dreaded "outside" is kept as far away from our thoughts as possible,
   I exaggerate and I love nothing more than a good restaurant or place to take the family, yet always at the forefront of my mind is that next scene in Metal Gear Solid 4 I must get to. Or a new strategy to ensure I finally become a level 32 hunter in Destiny. Even thinking of trying out new games that perhaps a guy of my age shouldnt be interested in like the latest Pokemon or Inazuma Eleven game. Yes gaming is in my very blood and ten-fifteen years ago I would know that maybe it is time to stop being a "big kid" and "grow up" and all that nonsense. I would be able to hear Danny Glovers imortal quote:"I'm getting too old for this shit" resonate through my grey matter and i would more than likely agree with my conscience and hang up the gaming gloves, though quite why my conscience would be an angry black American cop is beyond me....
   Anyway gaming has evolved in technology and perception and is much more accepted nowadays. I know that I don't intend to give up my hobby without a fight. But should I fight so hard to keep the dream alive? Or is it truly time I "grow up" and listen to my Danny Glover flavoured conscience?

Food for thought...

No comments:

Post a Comment