Friday 13 March 2015

Review: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, 2014 Movie

Movie That I Half-Like. Turtle Power?


I'm afraid I will start this review as Im sure many have: By reflecting upon the original 90's movie or cartoon (Its dependant on your experiences with the original turtles as to whether you get the headings play on words *ed). The Original movie was immensely popular and full of early nineties charm. As a kid seeing these animatronic turtles in motion was a magical sight. At the time special effects were not common place as they are today and being a fan of the cartoon I couldnt get enough of the pizza loving fellows. Also a big love of mine as a child were the Transformers. Along with the Turtles I had the toys, bought the horrid themed food (Apple pie and custard pizza,yes really *ed) and generally immersed myself in the Turles and Transformers universe as much as a kid can.
    After Michael Bay destroyed one franchise, realising he was producing the latest Turtles movie aswell filled me with a nostalgic dread. And so with trepidation I decided to watch the film and see if I could find the turtles through all the inevitable explosions.

Mutant Turtle Ninja Teenagers?


I knew watching the film I would have to let go of any memories I have of the 90's Blockbuster. Hard when you are a man of my narrow minded age. Yet I did so to remain unbias for this review. The movie does take a few detours away from the original, as it should being a reboot. Shredder is now in a robotic exoskeleton with blades protruding from just about every orifice. The turtles are much more stereotyped by their personalities. Raphael is about as black as you could make a green turtle. Donatello has so many gadget's upon his person that it is hard to tell if he is meant to be part cyborg or not. Michelangelo has been turned into a sex starverd fourteen year old and Leonardo is about as bland as you would expect because,you know, leaders are'nt cool. And April O'neil? Well April O'neil is Megan Fox. Take that how you see fit...
   As for the story it's a rather typical one of a nosy reporter (O'neil) stumbling upon "The Foot", a group of terrorists intent on destroying the city, before being saved by the film's protagonists. Thus O'Neil and the Turtles team up to stop The Foot and the Shredder from achieving their goal. And that is about it. There is a rather predictable twist part way through the movie featuring a character that was so obviously bad he may as well have had it tattoo'd on his head but aside from that you have pretty standard summer popcorn fare. Add to that a rigidly wooden performance bt Fox and an elevater scene that is cringeworthy in its attempt at humour and you have a film that is sorely lacking in places.

Cowabungle


You could argue that you dont watch a movie like this for the story or even the acting quality. And if you are just after action and fighting then this film fares better. The action is, as you would expect rather groovy and despite my best intentions had me guffawing like a schoolboy on certain scenes. The downhill snowchase being a highlight and one of the only moments in the film showing the Turtles teamwork in play. There is some great action to be seen then however I do have a few niggles. Perhaps it is my weary eyes not being as fast as they used to be but alot of the CGI and subsequent action scenes seemed quited washed out and blurry to me. It was the same with the Transformers movies where too much seemed to be going on and moving on screen making for hard viewing. The above is purely my experience with the film however and may not be what everyone sees when watching the movie.

What I would Pay For This Film



The new TMNT film is of course getting a sequel in 2016 and that is because no matter how wooden the acting, forced the comedy or cliche the story people love a good action film. If you watch this film expecting plenty of action and not much else then this will entertain. If however you expect something abit more...moreish then perhaps you should show your distaste the only way these filmmakers understand: By not buying. That is as always though, absolutely up to you.

I would pay £5 for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.




No comments:

Post a Comment